Saturday, August 21, 2010

You're NOT a Nobody

I work part time on my artistic endeavors; but, I work full time at Special Olympics Oklahoma. Last week, Special Olympics Oklahoma athletes were invited to come to a closed practice of the OU Sooners in Norman for an autograph session. The Special Olympics athletes were having a good time meeting the players and getting autographs. Toward the end of our time with the Sooners, one of the Special Olympics athletes turned to me and asked me to sign her football. I laughed and said, "Oh, honey, I'm just a nobody."  One of the young OU players overheard this and looked me in the eyes and said, "Oh, no, no, no...you are not a nobody." I laughed and took my Sharpie with the lid on, and signed her football with invisible ink. The OU athlete smiled.

Later, what he said really stuck in my head. I hadn't really meant I was a "nobody" in general, just in that setting. However, I thought about how important it is that in every setting "I'm NOT a nobody." That young football player has his OU football season ahead of him and all that that entails. However, he has the right frame of mind. Unfortunately, I didn't know this young player or catch the significance of looking at his jersey number. I was just caught up in the moment. He touched my life profoundly, though, by reminding me that we are all equally important and that "I am NOT a nobody."

I pray for great success in this young man's future. He's grounded in what's important. OU has invited Special Olympics Oklahoma athletes for special autograph sessions every year for many years. This year, I was impressed that although these student athletes had just spent a long time practicing in the heat, they and Coach Stoops took the time to come to the sidelines, greet a bunch of Special Olympics athletes, sign autographs, pose for photos and treat each Special Olympics athlete with respect. With their actions, the OU Sooners were saying to all of us, "You are NOT a Nobody."

BOOMER SOONERS!

PG

No comments:

Post a Comment